Beginning July 1, 2011 all youth sporting organizations utilizing government property (school fields, park and recreation fields, etc.) in the State of Maryland are required to provide parents and athletes with information regarding concussion awareness. The State of Maryland passed General Code 14-501 which requires children under 18 who have suffered a head injury while playing on a state or county field be removed from play for evaluation. In order to return to play, the player must obtain written clearance from a licensed health care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussion.
- Coaching Education and Certification of Concussion Awareness
- All coaches are required to take the HEADS UP to Youth Sports free online course (HEADS UP Online Training Course) and keep a copy of the completion certificate with their team's paperwork.
- Parent and Athlete Information
- Each player and parent must sign the Parent and Athlete Concussion Information Sheet and keep a copy of it with their team's paperwork.
- Basic Concussion Information
- Return to Play Guidelines
- The player must obtain written clearance from a licensed health care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussions.